Bombay HC Responds After KJo Filed Lawsuit Against Makers Of 'Shaadi Ke Director Karan Aur Johar'

After Karan Johar filed a lawsuit against the makers of 'Shaadi Ke Director Karan Aur Johar' for the unauthorised use of his name, the Bombay High Court restrained the makers from doing so.

img

By Poulami Bhandari Last Updated:

FOLLOW US ON GOOGLE NEWS, FLIPBOARD, FACEBOOK, WHATSAPP CHANNEL

Bombay HC Responds After KJo Filed Lawsuit Against Makers Of 'Shaadi Ke Director Karan Aur Johar'

Popular Bollywood director and producer, Karan Johar is one of those celebrities, who never shies away from calling a spade a spade. The 51-year-old has repeatedly spoken up against issues concerning him through his social media. However, this time, the issue got serious as the makers of one of the upcoming films unlawfully used KJo’s name in the title, and he had to approach the matter judicially.

Bombay High Court restrains makers of Shaadi Ke Director Karan Aur Johar from using Karan Johar’s name

KJo recently filed a lawsuit in the Bombay High Court against the makers of the upcoming film, Shaadi Ke Director Karan Aur Johar, set to release on June 14, 2024. In his plea, the popular filmmaker requested an immediate prohibition of the film's release. The Bombay High Court, demonstrating its efficiency, promptly responded to Karan’s lawsuit, ordering the makers on June 13, 2024, to refrain from using Karan Johar’s name in the title and movie.

Recommended Read: Priyanka Chopra Posts Pic Of Three Generations In One Frame, Daughter, Malti Plays With Kitchen Set

According to a report by PTI, the Bombay High Court, in an interim order, has restrained the makers from using either Karan’s name or his personal attributes in the film. They also added that this matter was a clear violation of KJo’s fundamental rights. In the same order, the single bench of Justice RI Chagla mentioned that the makers cannot release the movie in theatres or anywhere without removing the name of Karan Johar. 

The court said that using someone’s name without their permission is a direct violation of their fundamental rights. Justice Chagla also added that a prima facie case had been made to protect KJo’s celebrity status, which is evident from the innumerable blockbuster hits that he has directed and produced. The court said:

“The title says director...it has to refer to him (Karan Johar). I saw the trailer. The names Karan and Johar do not refer to two different persons. Prima facie, it seems they (the makers of the movie) are targeting him (Johar). His celebrity status is undoubted. There are a number of films he has made and produced that are all box office hits.”

Don’t Miss: Aamir Khan's Son, Junaid Makes His Bollywood Debut Without PR Or Promotions, Slams Nepotism Debate

Karan Johar’s lawsuit against the makers of Shaadi Ke Director Karan Aur Johar 

On June 12, 2024, Karan Johar filed a lawsuit against the writer and director, Bablu Singh and producer, IndiaPride Advisory and Sanjay Singh of the film, Shaadi Ke Director Karan Aur Johar. His plea was presented before the single bench of Justice RI Chagla. He mentioned in the lawsuit that he had nothing to do with the film and the makers were using his name without his permission, violating his right to privacy and personality rights. Further, KJo added that by using his brand name unauthorisedly, the makers are using his goodwill and reputation without his permission.

What do you think of Karan Johar's lawsuit against the makers of Shaadi Ke Director Karan Aur Johar?

Also Read: 'Kalki 2898 AD' Makers Accused Of Copying A 10-Yr-Old Artwork By A South Korean Artist, Get Slammed

Stay updated with latest entertainment news
Follow us on
Google news, flipboard, facebook,
whatsapp, instagram, twitter

advertisement

advertisement

advertisement

BollywoodShaadis